Our favourite experiences, as we road trip around the world, are our animal and wildlife encounters. Whether it’s a pride of lions or a herd of elephants in the wilds of Africa, common garden birds flitting around us, or the pets we look after on our house-sits, they all make our journey special.
Animal Encounters Around the World
Jump ahead for specific country animal encounters or scroll down to browse.
We’ve come face to face with a growling leopard and stumbled upon an endangered and rare pangolin... TWICE.
We’ve had meerkats underfoot in Namibia, tripped over puffins in Wales, fed reindeer in Sweden, cuddled abandoned baby monkeys in South Africa and just got dressed before a lion came strolling into camp in Botswana.
When we aren’t camping and road-tripping, we use TrustedHousesitters to find pet sits worldwide. Looking after pets in return for free accommodation saves us an incredible amount on accommodation costs.
Wildlife Encounters in Botswana
- Hippos and Elephants in Makgadikgadi Pans
- Incredible Wildlife Sighting in Savuti, Chobe National Park
- Animal Encounters and Camping in Moremi Game Reserve
- African Wild Dogs And Elephants in Khwai Concession
- Camping and Animal Encounters in the Central Kalahari
- Zebra Migration and Camping in Nxai Pan, Botswana
- White and Black Rhinos in Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Botswana
Wildlife Encounters in South Africa
- Four months in Klaserie Nature Reserve, near Kruger
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park Activities 2023
- A Wonderful Walking Safari St.Lucia in the iSimangaliso Wetlands
- An Australian Take on Life in the South African Bush
- The debate of Rhino Dehorning
- Stumbling on an endangered and rare pangolin... TWICE.
- Monkeyland experience, South Africa
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, South Africa
- Sensational Safaris at Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge, Klaserie
- Klaserie Drift Camp – Safari Review
- Common South African birds to Spot on your Road Trip
Wildlife Encounters in Namibia
- On the hunt for Namibia’s Desert Elephants
- The Incredible Living Desert Tour in Swakopmund
- Ndhovu Safari Lodge Experience
- The Top Sandwich Harbour Tours
- Meerkats underfoot in Kanaan Camp, Namibia
UK Wildlife Encounters
- Falconry Display at Dunrobin Castle, Scotland
- Handa Island: Puffins, Serenity and Spectacular Scenery
- The Gannets of Troup Head – Scotland
- Discovering the Grey Seals at Newburgh Beach, Aberdeenshire
- Skomer Island Puffins in Wales
Other Animal Encounters
PLANNING YOUR TRAVELS?
These are the travel resources we recommend and use when planning our trips.
- 🚘 Car Hire: We use DiscoverCars.com
- Motorhome/Campervan Rental: We highly recommend the Motorhome Republic
- 🛏 Book Accommodation: We use Booking.com to find accommodation that suits our budget
- 🐶 Pet Sitting/Pet Sitters: Check Out TrustedHousesitters here (Use our Discount code: LIFEJOURNEY25 for 25% off. )
- Activities and Experiences: Get Your Guide and Viator
- Travel Insurance: Safetywing or World Nomads
- 🥾 Travel Gear and Accessories: Check out our top picks here — Lifejourney4two page on Amazon
For a more thorough list visit our Travel Resources page here.