Hi, we’re Lars and Shelley
Founders of Lifejourney4two
We have sold all of our belongings and are road-tripping our way around the world.
We’re sharing our road trip journeys, destinations, travel tips and our photography along the way.
When our adventure began, it was only going to be for a year …but the paths less travelled still called our name…
So, this life journey for two continues.
Featured in ...
Why Come along For the Ride?
What You’ll find here at Lifejourney4two:
🔘 Tips and ideas to make your road trips and travels hassle-free, economical and fun
🔘 Road trip itinerary ideas
🔘 Destination guides
🔘 Travel Resources for road trips by car, motorhome, campervans and 4×4 bush campers
🔘 Inspiration to make your one day… day one
LIFEJOURNEY4TWO: OUR STORY
‘We took a leap — way out of our comfort zone — and made it happen.‘
In traveller terms, we are neither your youthful backpackers nor your retirees; we fall into that illustrious middle-age bracket. We didn’t win the lotto and we weren’t born with a silver spoon, but we both had a desire for a different kind of fulfilment to that which we were living.
Back in 2016, in Perth, Western Australia, we sat down one afternoon with pen and paper, and we mapped out our hopes and dreams for the future.
We wanted to travel and volunteer overseas. So we listed all the countries we’d like to visit … the list became bigger and bigger.
We felt so excited about the future, of all the things we wanted to do… ‘One day!’
Once we retired?
When we had won the lottery?
We turned to each other – both knowing what the other was thinking,
‘Why not now?’
MAKING IT HAPPEN …
After saving like crazy for about a year, we sold everything we owned (even down to the plant pots — every dollar counted!), quit our full-time professional jobs and set forth.
Our first trip was an epic camping road trip across Australia to say bye to friends, many of whom thought us either crazy or brave …
“Crazy? Brave? We don’t think so. We followed our hearts, took the decision and made that dream a reality.”
OUR ROAD-TRIPPING JOURNEY BEGAN …
We’ve been on the road since April 2017.
During the journey, our plans have chopped and changed, but that’s all part of the adventure.
Our Lifejourney4two Travels so far :
April 2017 – May 2018
May 2018 – April 2019
- 1 month house-sitting in the United Kingdom
- 2 months road-tripping and hiking in Norway,
- 9 months house-sitting in the quintessential French countryside.
May 2019 – April 2020
- 10 days road-tripping Ireland
- Two weeks on an Iceland road trip
- Two weeks travelling in Estonia
- Two weeks travelling in Uzbekistan
- Three months house sitting in Australia
- In January 2020 – we began Overlanding Africa in a 4×4 with a tent on top.
- From March 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic, we were in lockdown in the small remote town of Prince Albert in South Arica
May 2020 – April 2021
- We spent a total of five months in lockdown in Prince Albert, South Africa while petsitting, and then in July 2020 we moved to the owner’s private bushcamp in the South African bush
- In September and October 2020, once the South African lockdown lifted, we traversed the length of Kruger National Park on a self-drive safari.
- At the end of October 2020, with our South Africa visa expiring and neighbouring countries still not open to travel, we put our bush camper in storage and flew to Skudeneshavn, Norway where Lars could do some contract work … to fund our future travels.
May 2021 – April 2022
- In September 2021 we left Norway and arrived in Aberdeen, Scotland where Lars will be working for a year – more savings for our return to Africa (while Covid was still ravaging travel)
May 2022 – April 2023
- Still based in Aberdeen but doing plenty of house sitting around Scotland to explore this beautiful area
- In December 2022 we fly back to South Africa to pick up our 4×4 and continue our travels in South Africa, then on to Botswana and Namibia.
COUNTRIES WE’VE VISITED SO FAR
Albania, Australia (home), Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, USA, Uzbekistan
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
We are currently in Scotland.
Lars has some contract work and it is the perfect time to earn some extra travel funds while the world is still suffering from the pandemic.
Our Overlanding Africa journey is on hold until the end of 2022 when we will return to ‘Bucky’ – our trusted Bush Camper and continue our trip across Africa for a few years.
LIFEJOURNEY4TWO YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Check out our videos on YouTube for more of our story.
Here are more video snippets you may be interested in: