Hi, we’re Lars and Shelley
Founders of Lifejourney4two
We’ve sold all of our belongings and are road-tripping our way around the world.
Along the way, we’re sharing our road trip journeys, destinations, travel tips and our photography.
When our adventure began, it was going to be for a year …but the paths less travelled still call our name…
So, our lifejourney4two continues and we’re now road-tripping experts.
Featured in ...
Why Come Along For the Ride?
Join us for:
🔘 Inspiration to make your one day… day one
LIFEJOURNEY4TWO: OUR STORY
‘We took a leap out of our comfort zone and made it happen.‘
In traveller terms, we are neither your youthful backpackers nor your retirees; we fall into that illustrious middle-age bracket. We didn’t win the lotto and weren’t born with a silver spoon, but we both desired a different kind of fulfilment from what we were living.
Back in 2016, in Perth, Western Australia, we sat down one afternoon with pen and paper and mapped out our hopes and dreams for the future.
We wanted to travel and volunteer overseas. So we listed all the countries we’d like to visit … the list became bigger and bigger.
We felt so excited about the future, of all the things we wanted to do… ‘One day!’
Once we retired?
When we won the lottery?
We turned to each other – both knowing what the other was thinking,
‘Why not now?’
MAKING IT HAPPEN …
After saving like crazy for about a year, we sold everything we owned (even down to the plant pots — every dollar counted!), quit our full-time professional jobs and set forth.
Our first trip was an epic camping road trip across Australia from Perth to Melbourne to say bye to friends, many of whom thought us either crazy or brave …
We don’t think so.
We followed our hearts, made the decision, and now that dream is a reality.
AND SO OUR ROAD-TRIPPING JOURNEY BEGAN …
We’ve been on the road since April 2017.
Our plans have chopped and changed during the journey, but that’s all part of the adventure.
Our Lifejourney4two Travels so far …
April 2017 – May 2018: YEAR 1
May 2018 – April 2019: YEAR 2
- One month house-sitting in the United Kingdom.
- Two months of road-tripping and hiking in Norway.
- Nine months house-sitting in the quintessential French countryside.
May 2019 – April 2020: YEAR 3
- Ten days road-tripping Ireland.
- Two weeks on an Iceland road trip.
- Two weeks travelling in Estonia.
- Two weeks travelling in Uzbekistan.
- Three months house sitting in Australia.
- In January 2020 – we began Overlanding Africa in a 4×4 with a tent on top.
- From March 2020, during the Covid-19 pandemic, we were in lockdown in the small remote town of Prince Albert in South Africa
May 2020 – April 2021: YEAR 4
- Five months in lockdown in Prince Albert, South Africa, while housesitting, and then in July 2020, we spent three months in Klaserie Nature Reserve in the South African bush
- In September and October 2020, once the South African lockdown lifted, we traversed the length of Kruger National Park on a self-drive safari.
- At the end of October 2020, with our South Africa visa expiring and neighbouring countries still not open to travel, we put our 4×4 Hilux bush camper in storage and flew to Skudeneshavn in Norway, where Lars picked up some contract work … to fund our future travels.
May 2021 – April 2022: YEAR 5
- In September 2021, after almost a year in Norway, we arrived in Aberdeen, Scotland, where Lars worked for a year – more savings for our return to Africa (while Covid was still ravaging travel)
May 2022 – April 2023: YEAR 6
- We spent over a year in Aberdeen and thoroughly explored all the best things to do in Aberdeenshire, including all the Aberdeenshire Castles. We also managed to do plenty of house-sitting around Scotland, visiting its iconic Scottish castles.
- In December 2022, we flew back to South Africa to pick up our Hilux 4×4 and continue our overlanding Africa travels. We spent six weeks in South Africa, explored the iSimangaliso Wetlands on the east coast and regained our camper legs again by spending over a month in Klaserie, where we also stayed a couple of nights in Ivory Wilderness Lodge.
- In mid-January 2023, we arrived in Botswana for an epic 60-day Camping trip.
- In mid-March, we arrived in Namibia, spending 2.5 months road-tripping through its epic landscapes.
May 2023- April 2024: YEAR 7
- At the end of May 2023, we packed up “Bucky” (our 4×4 Hilux bush camper), left it in storage in Maun, Botswana, and flew back to Australia.
- We’re very excited to be growing Lifejourney4two and to take this time to add more travel guides and travel tips while we spend about 12 months house-sitting in Perth, Australia.
- We’ll also explore more of our ‘own backyard’ before heading back to Africa in 2024.
TrustedHousesitters: where pets reign supreme and savings abound. Both sitters and owners pay a small annual fee – a trifle compared to the savings on kennel costs and accommodation expenses. We've saved over $80,000, making every stay a purr-fectly frugal adventure!
COUNTRIES WE’VE VISITED SO FAR
Albania, Australia (home), Austria, Belgium, Botswana, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, USA, Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
We are currently in Perth, Western Australia
LIFEJOURNEY4TWO YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Check out our videos on YouTube for more of our story.
Check out our YouTube Channel for more of our travel videos.
Planning Your Travels?
- 🚗 Hiring a car? We recommend getting a quote from DiscoverCars
- 🚐 Hiring a Campervan? We recommend Motorhome Republic
- ⛑ Arranged your Travel Insurance? Compare quotes from World Nomads & Safetywing
- Order your International Driver’s Licence online here
- 🐾 Is someone pet-sitting for you? 🐾 We use and love TrustedHousesitters. (Get 25% off at checkout for new memberships with our discount code: LIFEJOURNEY25)